W H & O M S
The Women’s Home and Overseas Missionary Society is the oldest and largest organizations of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. In 1880, the Society was formed in response to an overseas church-planting venture by the denomination. More than 130 years later, the Society is involved in the diverse cultures of West, Central and South Africa, England, India, Guyana, Surinam and the Caribbean island, with its flagship overseas mission church started in 1878 in Brewerville, Liberia West Africa.
The purpose of the Women’s Home and Overseas Missionary Society of the African Methodist Zion Church is to:
• Promote growth in the knowledge and understanding of God and His plan of redemption for the world, as revealed through Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit;
• Teach the concepts of Christian missions and provide experiences for participation in mission work and its ministries;
• Exemplify the principles of Christian living and to win others to Christ;
• Promote the cause of World Evangelism; and
• Serve as a financial support system to undergird the world mission outreach of the A.M.E. Zion Church at home and overseas, to the end that, through the power of the Holy Spirit; Christ is exalted and God is glorified.